Last Updated on
Did you know today was Stress Awareness Day?
What a great time to step back and look at all the amazing topics we have covered over the past six and a half months here at Happy Science Mom. I hope you have been enjoying the articles about mindfulness, gratitude, giving, goals, kindness, food and exercise, and nature. There is still so much to look forward to as we explore emotions, awe, fun and laughter, creativity, and optimism in the coming months.
All of these tools aid us in raising happy, balanced children. It’s a tough world out there and our children need our guidance. Through my own battle with stress and anxiety, I have found ways to get back to a balanced state of mind, body, and spirit. This is a life-long project and there is always something new to learn. My goal is that by sharing tips, resources, and activities from the world of happiness science we can teach our children how to live joyful, fulfilled, and peaceful lives.
How Stress Is Affecting Our Children
Stress and anxiety play a big role in our children’s lives today. According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA), it is estimated that 1 in 8 children suffers from an anxiety disorder. More worrisome, the National Institute of Mental Health reports that 25 percent of teens ages 13-18 will experience some form of anxiety. Additionally, the use of anti-anxiety medications is exploding. It increased by almost 50 percent for children ages 10-19 between 2001-2010, explained Scott Shannon, author of Mental Health for the Whole Child: Moving Young Clients from Disease & Disorder to Balance & Wellness.
What Can You Do To Help Your Children?
By turning to some fun, easy activities in our lives, we can help to calm our bodies and minds. Try some of these tips with your kids that we have highlighted throughout the past few months here at Happy Science Mom:
- Take the After School Meditation Challenge to bring some calm to the most stressful part of your family’s day.
- Teach your children how to eat mindfully.
- Express gratitude by playing the Alphabet Gratitude Game and writing real thank you notes.
- Volunteer as a family in your community.
- Teach your children how to balance receiving with giving.
- Set smart goals with your kids so they can discover their purpose in life.
- Practice lovingkindness meditation with your children.
- Incorporate calm foods into your children’s diet and keep them away from caffeine.
- Encourage your children to play outside more.
- Read about all of these amazing topics. You can find children’s books covering these issues at the Happy Science Mom Shop.
Do you have any questions or suggestions about what you want to learn from Happy Science Mom?