Choosing natural and organic products that don’t contain harmful chemicals are better for our health and how to protect our environment, but did you know that pesticides have also been linked to anxiety and depression? A recent study of farmers through the Colorado Injury Control Research Center discovered that pesticide exposure can lead to depression, anxiety, and psychiatric disorders. If farmers are being harmed from spraying these toxins on our produce, then our children can also be affected when they bite into what otherwise would be considered healthy foods like fruits and vegetables. However, if our apples and strawberries are coated with pesticides, all bets are off.
This is the main reason why I started buying organics many years ago. At the time, I turned to Environmental Working Group’s amazing resources to determine which foods to make sure I buy organic. Over the years, they have expanded their focus from just produce to essentially any type of food product you can think of and other consumer products like cosmetics. They continue to be my go-to source of information for eco-friendly shopping.
Start Saving Money
But what about the added cost? So many people shy away from buying organics because they are intimidated by the potential bump in their grocery bill. With the natural and organic market booming right now, this just is no longer a concern. You can now find natural and organic products in discount stores like Aldi, Walmart, and Target, and of course on Amazon.
Also, there are ways to cut your cost. I found an amazing app called Makeena that will help you discover products that are good for your family. Whether you shop online or in your local grocery or general store, Makeena is a simple tool that provides cash back incentives and loyalty rewards after you buy eco-friendly products featured in their database. Not only do they have coupons for food and drinks, but they also have them for baby, cleaning, personal care, beauty, and pet products. The products fall into one or more of the following categories: natural, organic, non-GMO, gluten-free, or vegan. This way, you can find what works best for your family’s health needs. Whether you are trying to get your family to eat less meat or cut back on sugar, Makeena can be a super helpful guide.
Makeena means happiness in Swahili and abundance in Hawaiian. This app will make you so happy as you fill your home with healthy, safe products that your family will love.
How It Works
- Download the app either through Apple or Google. (Please enter the code WAHUFG.)
- Look for products you already use or browse for new products you would like to try. Save your favorites in your shopping list.
- Go shopping either online or at your favorite store.
- As you are putting your groceries away, scan the bar codes of each product into your Makeena app. Your offers and rewards will automatically be added to your app.
- Take a photo of your entire receipt from top to bottom. For a long receipt, you can add a section. Make sure all of the text in the receipt is readable.
- Redeem your rewards! If you have enough points for rewards such as extra cash back or freebies (100% cash back), you’ll get a pop-up asking if you’d like to redeem them when you scan the bar code. Cash out through PayPal or Venmo after you accumulate $20 in your account.
- Share offers and product ideas with friends through email and social media.
You can also check out this video to see how Makeena works.
There is nothing better than being able to turn your receipt into cash rewards just for buying products you and your family love. Makeena makes it so fun and easy to shop for healthy products for your home. Happy shopping with Makeena!
After you start shopping with Makeena, come back and tell us your favorite new product.