How much time and energy do you spend cleaning your home? Have you ever stopped to think about what is in your cleaning materials—the ingredients in them, how they are made, how they impact the environment?
So many of the products on the market can be harmful to our family’s health and the planet. I am excited to share these green products that you can easily add to your home cleaning repertoire. They are innovative, easy to find, reasonably priced, and helping to change the world.
Greener Cleaner Dustpan and Brush
This company has gone all out to make an ecologically responsible product. They have committed to using natural, sustainable, and locally sourced materials when available. They also aim to reduce carbon emissions throughout their supply chain and to convert waste into new products to reduce overall consumption.
Greener Cleaner dustpans and brushes are made from 100 percent wood pulp and recycled plastic using their special patented eco-wood-blend technology. The soft durable brush fibers can be used to clean all types of floors and surfaces in your home. They come in a variety of colors including cream, blue, red, and green. Finally, you can easily clean them by rinsing with water.
Anne Riggs Etsy Cloth Paper Towels
When I saw this product, I knew I just had to have it. Paper towels are such a waste and only end up in landfills and the ocean. Americans throw away about 13 billion pounds of paper towels each year! By replacing regular paper towels with these cloth ones, you can make a huge difference. Not only will you be saving the environment, you will also save money—the average family in the United States spends about $250 a year on paper towels.
Anne Riggs creates these colorful cloth towel rolls herself. She takes pieces of cotton terry cloth and adds snaps so you can easily pull one off at a time to wipe up a mess. She lines one side with gorgeous patterns like flowers, geometric patterns, stripes, and images of food.
Each roll contains 12 towels. The towels are 11” wide and 10’ high, about the size of a typical paper towel. The inside towel has three elastic bands to attach to an empty roll. The towels will fit on any kind of paper towel holder. They are also stable enough to sit rolled up on your counter top. Finally, they can be machine washed and dried.
Purchase your cloth paper towels and check out Anne’s other amazing products. Use this link to receive free shipping until December 1st.
Cleancult Laundry Detergent
How much laundry do you do? Did you know that the average family washes about 400 loads of laundry each year? Besides all the work and precious time that goes into keeping your family’s clothes nice and clean, that process can also impact the environment and your children’s health. Those loads of laundry add up to about 13,500 gallons of water annually. The chemicals in conventional laundry detergents end up in nearby water bodies, harming marine life. And those chemicals can also cause health problems such as skin irritation.
You can avoid these problems by choosing a safer laundry detergent such as Cleancult’s detergent pods. They are a three-in-one product, combining stain removal, fabric softener, and detergent. It is safe for all types of washers—including all brands and whether they are top loading or front loading.
There are so many wonderful benefits to choosing Cleancult:
- Non-Toxic Ingredients. Cleancult has developed non-toxic laundry pods that are free of harmful ingredients like chlorine, dyes, phosphates, and masking agents. They are also free of ingredients that can cause allergies like wheat, oats, barley, rye or any derived products from Gluten; dairy; soy; egg; and nuts. Finally, they are hypoallergenic and great for sensitive skin.
- Free of Animal Cruelty. Cleancult’s detergent is free of animal cruelty, which means none of the ingredients it uses were tested on animals.
- Better Powder Form. Cleancult comes in powder only, which is much better than liquid detergent for a number of reasons. It is so easy to just pop it in the washing machine without having to worry about measuring out how much liquid you need or dealing with spills. Powder is also more efficient than liquid detergents and tends to be cheaper per load than liquids.
- Convenient Delivery system. One of the best parts of Cleancult is that it is delivered directly to your door. You never need to worry about running out of detergent again or dragging it home from the grocery store.
Who would have thought a sponge could be so cool? Twist Sponges are the world’s first plant-based scrub sponge. These all-natural sponges are made from cactus, hemp, agave, and cotton. They do not contain any added colors or chemicals, and have a 100 percent biodegradable cellulose sponge center. All of the handheld sponges are hand sewn and made without glues or dyes.
The company believes that “one sponge at a time, we’re trying to contribute to a more sustainable planet.” Dyes and glues in traditional cellulose sponges can be harmful to our environment and polyester scrubbers never disappear from landfills. They wanted to provide consumers with a better, more sustainable option.
This company is a green consumers’ dream come true. My home is always stocked with Method cleaners because they get the job done and smell great—without harming the environment. And they have everything you can possible need: glass cleaner, dish soap, wood cleaner, toilet bowl cleaner, all-purpose solution, etc.
Here are some of the highlights of why Method is so fabulous for the environment:
- Rated as a B corporation, which means it is doing business for social and environmental good.
- Ingredients are comprehensively assessed for safety and environmental health.
- Packaging design is evaluated for safety, environmental factors, and recyclability.
- Cruelty-free company: Method does not perform any animal testing and does not endorse, request, or commission any animal testing.
- No animal by-products used.
- Climate conscious: They take steps to lower carbon emissions from their products, manufacturing practices, and business operations. They buy renewable energy credits (RECs) for their offices and manufacturing sites. They also use biodiesel to power over one-third of their U.S. truck shipments.
- Greensourcing program: They reinvent ways in which products are made by inviting key suppliers and manufacturers to work with them toward the ultimate goal of zero-waste manufacturing.
- Work to reduce the use of non-renewable materials like petroleum across the product line—from bottling to formulations. They make cleaning bottles from 100 percent recycled plastic, laundry bottles from 50 percent recycled plastic, and most of their formulations come from renewable-sourced ingredients.
How will you green your cleaning routine?