Welcome to your toolkit for raising happy, balanced children. If you are concerned about your kids feeling stressed, anxious, depressed, moody, or uninterested in life and wondering what you can do about it, you have come to the right place.
I share science-backed tips, resources, and activities from the world of positive psychology to help you pass along skills to your children and teens so they can live joyful, fulfilled, and peaceful lives. We’ll explore natural tools like mindfulness, giving, optimism, kindness, gratitude, and spending time in nature.
It’s a tough world out there and our kids need our guidance. Through my own battle with stress and anxiety, I have found ways to get back to a balanced state using these effective tools, and I am excited to share these tips and tricks with you.
There are many experts specializing in one area of happiness or stress reduction, but I am here to bring it all together in a simple, convenient way for you and your family. Please join me on this journey as we make new discoveries together. I welcome your questions and feedback along the way. Through knowledge and a constructive exchange of ideas, we can lead the next generation in making the world a happier, healthier place.
I am a freelance writer specializing in parenting, wellness, human behavior, and environmental issues. My specialty is translating complex, intriguing science issues to the general public in a relatable, entertaining way. My bylines include Scary Mommy, Parent Co, Motherly, Very Well Family, Environmental Defense Fund’s Moms Clean Air Force, The Gottman Institute’s blog, The Week, Green Child Magazine, One Green Planet, Your Teen for Parents, Urban Mommies, Mommy Nearest, and numerous regional parenting magazines like NY Parenting, Washington Family, MetroKids Philadelphia, Bay Area Parent, and Calgary’s Child. My essay “How My Love For Science Shook Me Out of My Comfort Zone” appears in the book Chicken Soup for the Soul: The Empowered Woman: 101 Stories about Being Confident, Courageous and Your True Self.
Prior to freelancing, I held communications positions in the environmental field at the United States Environmental Protection Agency, National Academy of Sciences, and an environmental and energy consulting firm. I earned a Bachelor of Arts in Environmental Studies at The George Washington University, a Master of Arts in Government with an Environmental Focus at Johns Hopkins University, and am currently working on a Certificate in Foundations of Positive Psychology from the University of Pennsylvania.
Happy Science Mom is just one aspect of my work, as I am always exploring new writing and editing projects. I would love the opportunity to work with your organization or publication. Please visit www.sandischwartz.com for more information and contact me at [email protected]
Happy Science Mom was featured in the following:
- Jedlie’s Reading With Your Kids Podcast
- 60+ Amazing Summer Activities So Your Kids Have The Best Summer (The Everyday Mom Squad)
- 75+ Community Service Ideas & Projects: The Volunteer’s Guide (Transizion)
- How to Help An Unhappy Child Be Happy (Coffee and Carpool)
- Optimal Daily Living Podcast 390: How a Parent’s Affection Shapes a Child’s Happiness for Life by Sandi Schwartz with Gottman Institute
- Tips for Teaching Young Learners About Civic Duty and Community Involvement (Planbook.com)
- 7 Tips To Make Homework Time Easier (Famstastic)
- Mental Illness: What I Wish Others Knew
- The Best Mommy Blogs Every Mom Should Follow (Teepee Joy)
- 24 Unforgettable Birthday Traditions your Kids Will Love (Shari’s Berries)
- The Morning Routine of Successful Professionals (Altitude)
- Interpersonal Relationships: How Teachers Can Help Students Develop Friendships (Planbook.com)
- 65 Best Parenting Blogs of 2017
- Top 8 Hacks To Natural Living That Every Girl Should Know (Lunette)
- Climate Heroes: Florida Style (Climate Mama)
- Green Moms Profile: Sandi Schwartz
- How Your Family Can Volunteer Together to Help Protect the Environment (Doing Good Together)
- Moms Are Rising To Protect The Ecosystem (Green Mom)
- How Creativity Can Calm Your Children (Raising Independent Kids)
- 10 Mom Bloggers Share Their Powerful New Year’s Resolutions (Mom and Carrot blog)
- Why I Give: Sandi Schwartz Supports St. Baldrick’s Foundation (Goods Giving Back)
- Feature Friday with Blogger, Sandi Schwartz (Modern Mama Blog)
- How To Teach Children Lovingkindness Meditation (Sharon Salzberg’s blog)